Friday, May 18, 2012

She sells Sea Shells...

A great gal in my ward asked me to help out with the favors for her wedding. I may have offered my help too... (winky face!). Any how, she had a beach theme and wanted to put candies in little buckets for each of her 180 guests. No problem! said I with little realization of the sheer amount of time (and cost) I was committing to. I thought I'd start early and just do some here and there and finish with time to spare. Ha ha ha. I ended up popping out the last set ten minutes before I said I would be at her house ( a day after I had scheduled for myself). Oh, well! It all turned out in the end. Her reception was beautiful, as was she! I felt great doing something so special for such a wonderful family. 

                                       
The wedding colors were teal and green. I tried to get a nice mixture of those colors with white so they appeared a little lifelike. I used green and blue melting discs with the pastel Colorburst discs, until I ran out of those, then I used white discs with sprinkles mixed in.
Here's a close-up! There were 5 shapes in the mold- 11 cavities. To get to the 540 requested, I needed to fill the mold at least 49 times. I ended up buying a second mold so things would go more quickly.
Some of the swirls turned out really well. I melted the white base in a double boiler on the stove and microwaved the color in a shallow mug. Ideally, I used a 2:1 ratio when mixing colors. I plopped  a blob of white in a bowl, then a smaller blob of color on top. You then drag a toothpick, or a spoon  in my case, across both colors. Often I needed to pull up  some color from beneath using the spoon. I tried piping with a plastic decorating bag, but you lost the marbling.

The loaded box! Which was heavy. Very heavy. On the side are 200 cream cheese mints popped out of a round chocolate mold. It worked alright, but not the most effecient way to do things! They tasted great though. I thought they might look like sand dollars to fit the beach theme! The chocolates are 5 layers thick with about 130ish pieces per layer.


No comments:

Post a Comment